This is a new role to oversee the smooth and profitable operation of the museum shop (including admissions) and the Limeburners Café (plus additional outlets). If you have experience in a busy visitor-focused operation and are passionate about heritage, this could be the perfect role for you. This role is full-time Wednesday-Sunday (the days the Museum is open to the public), but we are prepared to consider a part-time role of at least 3 days per week for the right candidate.
Main duties and responsibilities
The Retail Manager will report to the Museum Director but work closely with the Visitor Experience Manager. They will line manage the Retail Supervisor, Catering Supervisor and Chefs. Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Delivering high standards of welcome, presentation and service in all retail areas, including training of relevant staff
- Overseeing the smooth operation of admissions, including our advance ticketing system, and ensuring that Gift Aid is maximised
- Accurate operation of the EPOS system
- Managing the purchasing budgets for the Shop and Café, maintaining margins and ensuring that targets are met
- Working with our Chefs on the provision of cost-effective, high quality, local and seasonal food and drinks
- Analysing sales and customer data to inform the visitor offer
- Purchasing for the Museum shop in conjunction with the Retail Supervisor, including development of bespoke Amberley lines
- Merchandising the shop and Café to create eye-catching displays
- Ensuring adequate staffing levels in all areas, depending on visitor numbers, seasonal patterns and scheduled events
- Ensuring that food hygiene standards are complied with at all times
- Ensure effective stock rotation and control, and organising stock takes at regular intervals
- Acting as a Duty Manager within a rota with other Office staff
- Adopting a proactive approach to meeting visitor equality and access needs
- Working within the Museum’s Environmental Policy to promote sound environmental practices in all areas of work.
- Supervisory experience in a retail or catering environment, preferably in a cultural venue
- Visitor-focused, with excellent customer service skills
- Experience of buying and development of stock lines
- Experience of EPOS systems and stock management
- Knowledge of food hygiene regulations
- Good attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- A flexible and adaptable approach with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet and database packages, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- An understanding of, and a commitment to, equality, diversity and inclusion
About Amberley Museum
We welcome around 50,000 visitors pa and are located by Amberley station, near Arundel, West Sussex. We preserve rural, transport, industrial and communications history in a 36-acre former chalk pits and lime works and organise up to 30 events every year, from classic cars and miniature steam to Steam Punk, with children’s activities during school holidays. We have a small staff and over 300 regular volunteers, who run the narrow-gauge steam railway and vintage bus service daily, look after collections and interact with visitors. This is an exciting and challenging time for us, as we have ambitious plans to grow and prosper during the next few years.
Amberley Museum is an equal opportunities employer and committed to reflecting and representing the diversity of the UK.
c22,000 pa or pro rata for part time
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com. The closing date for this role is Friday 16th July 2021.