You can now borrow a box of artefacts from the Museum’s collections to enhance your classroom learning. To use this service, a member of staff must be able to pick up and drop off the box to the Museum.
Communications – a selection of objects demonstrating the history of visual and telecommunications. Includes a working Morse code key and four sets of modern semaphore flags.
Everyday Inventions – intriguing household and work-based objects from the 19th & early 20th centuries, from button hooks to fat massagers!
Historic Transport – authentic and replica objects illustrating transport from the 1920s-1980s. Complements our KS1 Journeys workshop.
N.B. We are building up a library of loan boxes on popular themes. If you have a suggestion for a new loan box that would suit your school curriculum, please get in touch!
- 10+ themed Museum artefacts and props for related activities
- Artefact fact sheets
- Handling notes
- Activity prompts
Mini (2 weeks): £40 / Regular (half term): £100
To reserve an experience, please email the Learning Officer at email@example.com
From January 2021, our popular 60-minute KS1 ‘Journeys’ workshop can be delivered to your class online, via the digital platform of your choice.
Pupils will experience the same activities as if they were here at the Museum, animated by the Learning Officer and a number of our knowledgeable volunteers through a series of pre-recorded videos, interactive elements and questions slots.
- A ride on the narrow-gauge railway.
- A visit to the wheelwrights’ workshop to see cartwheels and find out how they’re made.
- A visit to the Village Garage to investigate bicycles and motorised vehicles from the early- to mid-20th century.
- A ride on one of our vintage buses.
- FREE ‘Design a Train Ticket’ pre-visit activity!
Virtual Visits can be booked at 10am, 11.15am and 1pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
£40 per class/30 children