Our Cobbler’s shop display is a reconstruction of a small shop in Scott Street, Bognor Regis, which operated as a cobbler’s from about 1930 until 1979. Ted Towse, who joined the business in 1939 and later took it over, donated the entire contents of the shop to the Museum when he retired.
The building that the cobbler’s shop is displayed in was one of the original chalk pits buildings housing the bag mender’s workshop. Here, a bag mender worked making and mending the canvas bags used to hold the lime made in the kilns. The bag mender lived in the workshop in the week, sleeping in a hammock strung from the beams, and returned home at the weekends.