VILLAGE GARAGE & CYCLE SHOP

The Museum houses a replica village garage and cycle shop from the late 1920s/early 30s.

Garages did not exist in the early days of motoring. Petrol was purchased from the ironmonger, chemist or general store while the local blacksmith, cycle shop or coach-builder carried out any repairs. These various services gradually merged to form what we know now as the garage. The garage trade expanded rapidly during the 1920s after the introduction of ‘filling stations’ like this one with petrol pumps.

The village garage was often small scale, family-run and offered a variety of services.

Petrol sales formed a large part of the business. The repair work included motor vehicles, bicycles, agricultural equipment and tools, mowers and stationary engines. Paraffin and other household items were sold and accumulators for wireless sets were re-charged. In many respects, the village garage was the focus of rural communities in the way that the blacksmith’s shop had been during the 19thcentury.

The cycle repair shop is located next to the village garage. 

Our Supporters

FIND US

Amberley Museum
New Barn Road,
Amberley,
Near Arundel,
West Sussex,
BN18 9LT

CONTACT US

tel:+44 (0) 1798 831370

office@amberleymuseum.co.uk

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA

FIND US

Amberley Museum
New Barn Road,
Amberley,
Near Arundel,
West Sussex,
BN18 9LT

Our Supporters

Photography Credits

Privacy Policy 

Terms & Conditions

CONTACT US

tel:+44 (0) 1798 831370

office@amberleymuseum.co.uk

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA